Reply To: My goal/context/outcomes & questions to you guys

March 15, 2015 at 4:24 pm #647
Profile photo of Joy Weese MollJoy Weese Moll
Participant

Here’s how I did the Observational Experiment. I wanted to take visual notes about a book within 24 hours of finishing it. Before and as I was doing that, I made a second set of notes about what was working, what was challenging, and various questions that came up.

So, the content included the summary of the book and things I liked and didn’t like about it.

The observational experiment included things like noting that I finished the book late in the evening, well after the time that I’ve usually planned the next day — so if I’m going to meet my goal of making notes within 24 hours, I’ll need to get in the habit of adding that to my previously written plan.

I also noted that I had an opinion about how long this should take. I didn’t know that until I sat down to do it, but I’m not going to be very happy with the process if it takes more than half an hour (fortunately, it didn’t — even though I did the Observational Experiment alongside my note-taking which added some time).

I had a whole list of notes about what it was like to do this visual note-taking with a novel and how it might be different (and probably more rewarding) with nonfiction.

So, as you can see, I found the whole thing quite helpful! I hope it works as well for you.