Reply To: My Digital Doodle Kit

May 3, 2016 at 12:50 pm #5820
Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
Participant

I could use a basic graphic designer class, too, so don’t worry. What we are talking here is quickly explained.

Think of layers as digital tracing paper. Each layer has different functions. One takes the background, another one the title and subtitle, another one some grid or guiding lines, another one the contents, the shadows, accent colors etc. You can switch layers invisible or change some properties, merge them, add photos, delete them …

Layers can help you work systematically and save your sketch in case you make a mistake.

With a lasso tool you can mark a part of a sketch and move this part around on the canvas, maybe enlarge it or make it smaller. This works better on vector-based apps, because the sketch doesn’t get pixelated when enlarged.

In the Work Visual app you can “transform” a layer, which basically means to change size and position, and then lock this in. The workflow in Work Visual lets the user define a number of tools and layers, and it’s recommended to use one layer per tool. Last layer is the background. First layer is the sketch, second the shadows, third the accents. It’s very easy and quick to change tools and layers, as they are available from one menu at the bottom of the screen.

I can’t really tell you how much you need to know – I am a beginner myself. Is there even an end to this ? 😉 Some apps seem to use much more “designer language” than others and to me this often looks intimidating. But it doesn’t need to be.

For the webinar app I read on a FB-group about a setup with Zoom. It seems to be quite popular lately, but I don’t have any experience – not doing any events myself.