Reply To: Joy's Progress Log

May 15, 2015 at 9:08 am #1683
Profile photo of Joy Weese MollJoy Weese Moll
Participant

The positive stuff never makes the news, but there are good things happening in St. Louis. One of the best is a program run by the YWCA that has blossomed this spring with dozens of active groups studying the book Witnessing Whiteness by Shelly Tochluck. Our assignment this week included a story board activity. Less than half of us used pictures in the boxes. Some one looked at mine and said “I wish I could draw.” As if my story board looked like it was done by someone who could draw! Taking this class and reading the book Syllabus by Lynda Barry, I knew that it didn’t matter that I couldn’t draw — and now I have proof, someone else believes that I can draw!

Another interesting thing was that someone who looked at my pictures as I told my story was able to relate the whole story, easily, to the rest of the group. That didn’t happen for any one else. The power of pictures made it easy for her to remember the details.

In an unrelated topic, but also progress this week — I posted a review of the book Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal and included the visual notes of her TED talk that I shared in the Learning forum last week.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Joy Weese Moll. Reason: forgot to add picture
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.